Wednesday 14 September 2011

Why I'm Happy

I think over the years, I've easily achieved the reputation for being a happy, cheerful kinda guy. And people do often ask me why I don't get as depressed or angry or stressed as everyone else.
For a while, I've struggled with a proper answer. But, in one of those random time-to-yourself-and-all-you-do-is-think moments, I think I came up with an answer.

And the answer is I just. Don't. Care.
Now, on the surface, I know that makes me seem unfeeling and selfish, but I don't mean it in that way. Obviously, I care for my friends and family and wish them all the best lives and what have you.
But I don't care about popular fads. I don't care about modern music, latest fashion, trends, beliefs, and whatever else people are messing around with these days. I like what I like, I enjoy what I want to enjoy, and I don't care if it's considered 'uncool', 'unpopular' or 'weird'.
My next point is that because I don't care about this stuff, it makes me happy. I don't get stressed trying to find out whats cool all the time. I don't run out of money buying the latest 'cool' shoes. I don't suddenly jump up and start planning up-coming events which people seem to get so over-excited about. I just continue on, leisurely at my own pace, experiencing and liking things by myself. It's a much more happy, peaceful and contented lifestyle.

Another thing is that it makes life more fun. If you don't care if people might think your acting "strangely"; if you don't care that people are giving you odd looks; if you don't care that people might think you immature for having a sonic screwdriver [yuh-huh] - then you can just have a laugh and enjoy yourself. I mean yeah, I don't obviously do things that are outside of the law, but I do still do things which people label as 'uncool' behaviour, but, what does it matter?
It's fun, it's a laugh, it's a good life.

And I think that's why I'm happy. Non-conformist is the word I think. No conforming to popular trends, no conforming to music styles and film preferences. Just do your own thing.
It's a fun life. Trust me on that.

No comments:

Post a Comment