Wednesday 3 August 2011

Bio-Shocked

Sometimes in life, something is much better than you thought it would be. SuckerPunch, a new series of Top Gear, or recently for me, Jekyll.
But one thing I have recently discovered and quickly fallen in love with is BioShock. I knew of it, through random trailers and mentions. And after asking my good old gamer friend Dan, who responded positively, I got Bioshocks 1 and 2 for my birthday.

And oh my god. So much more than what I was ready for.
Essentially, the world's best and brightest get swept up by Andrew Ryan, owner of the underwater Utopian city named Rapture. At first, everything goes swimmingly [ho-ho], which new sciences being developed and brand new important discoveries.
But as is expected, in a way that 2K [BioShock creators] portray beautifully, being cut off from true civilisation soon leads to insanity. Small girls are experimented on and turned into drug wielding Little Sisters, protected by massive and terrifying baddies known as Big Daddies.
The drug in question is ADAM. Extracted from dead bodies, Little Sisters harvest it and Big Daddies protect them from Splicers, who want the power of ADAM to give them artificial super powers, like Incinerate - the super-hot flame-creator, Winters Blast - freeze your enemies and shatter, Electro-Bolt - speaks for itself. And to power your ADAM-acquired powers, you use EVE hypos to recharge to keep using these "plasmids".
So that's the background. People want drugs which belong to Little Sisters, but can't get to them because their massive Big Daddies just drill them to bits. [Not a misprint]

So where do we, the audience, come into it?
Our plane crash lands in the Atlantic Ocean, right by the Rapture Access Tower. So with a plane on fire, and nothing better to do, we enter, jump in the transport known as a Bathysphere and proceed on in.

Hell breaks loose. You need weapons and plasmid powers to survive. You need money, you need ADAM, you need EVE, you need to be prepared and, most of all, you need to not be squeamish. My sibling once walked in as I was studying a dead Splicer with scissors embedded in his eyes. My sanity, as a result, has been thrown into question. Again.
But trust me, give it a go. The storyline quickly enfolds you and urges you to keep going. The desire for more ADAM and plasmids keep you fighting those Big Daddies as best you can.
And the want to find out who 'Atlas' really is kept me going as well.

Overall, the animation is perfect, graphic tip-top and the entire time I played it, it didn't freeze or fail to load once. Bearing all in mind, it's no wonder it was voted Game of the Year.

So I recommend and urge you to play this game, and like me, you'll find something that might just be much better than you expected. And small moments in life like that are what we need to keep us going.
Ok, I'm getting philosophical.

On one final note, throughout the game you'll be given the choice to "Harvest" or "Rescue". No matter what you hear and what you may know, Rescue. Always Rescue. In the long run, you'll thank me for it.
Peace out.
(Above is a picture from BioShock that caught my interest pretty damn quickly. How the Big Daddy/Little Sister partnership came to be)

No comments:

Post a Comment