Tuesday 18 January 2011

I'm sorry, but that just isn't needed

I don't know if you've seen the new Aviva advert about life insurance, but I shall tell you now.
I saw it not 20minutes ago. And I hate it. With a passion.

It starts with a family getting ready for a holiday. The son's lost his goggles and running around to find him, the daughter's off to University, the mum's dealing with it all and the Dad is walking around just commenting on it all, as the advert normally goes.
There is a very small hint as to what it's about, but it's something you only realise at the end, after seeing it all.

Anyway, they all arrive downstairs. It goes a bit quiet and the daughter says "It won't be the same without Dad", quietly. The mum brings her close, kisses her forehead and says "I know".
And then there's a zoom out, and the Dad (who was previously standing on the edge of shot) has disappeared. And wasn't really there at all. First reaction: A very let-down "oh". And then just: depression. Doubly so for me. Why?

I have suffered the loss of a paternal figure.It is not in any way good or positive and is not suitable for an advert trying to use it in this way. I think the fact that Aviva is using this sort of situation is absolutely fucking disgraceful. I'm not normally one to turn against parts of society, but the sooner that advert goes, the better.

Sorry everyone. But that's what I feel. My first angry-rant blog.
And Aviva? I've lost all respect for you.

1 comment:

  1. I just watched the ad in question. It is pretty dark. Unusually so.

    ReplyDelete