Sunday 26 May 2013

Different Disappointment

Hah, my 42nd blog post. Maybe this post will have something to do with Life, the Universe and Everything.
But I highly doubt it.
The subject matter of this post is as follows:
I have found the worst kind of dreams.

Now, I imagine the primary thought here is "nightmares", which is a fair point. Nightmares can destroy a person and create the strongest of fears.
But I have one famous line for you, actually taken from The Hunger Games: "Hope. Hope is the only motivator stronger than fear."
By extended knowledge, smashed hopes hurt you more than fear.

So the worst dreams are not scary nightmares; they are hopeful dreams.

I get these a lot when I'm going through emotional times in life: a falling out with a friend, the passing of a relative or even losing a possession dear to me. I'll spend most nights - if not all, depending on the connection with the friend/relative/possession - constantly dreaming that I am reunited with them/it. In my mind, all differences and losses are optimistically swept under the rug and I'm left inside my own mind with nothing but pure happiness at being reunited.
Right until I wake up.

This is where Hope-Dreams triumph over Nightmares and win the title of 'Worse'. A nightmare can be escaped by waking up. You leave fear and despair behind and re-enter a world of safety and optimism.
With a Hope-Dream, it's completely the other way round. The friend still hates you, the relative is still gone, your possession is still broken/lost. And that cuts you far more deeply than waking up scared ever will.

It's more often than not horrible waking up from dreams anyway. You can no longer fly, or can't talk to animals or be a superhero anymore - but you can accept that more easily. Having these kind of powers is unlikely anyway, so you just get on with your life.

But after a realistic dream, you just can't. A broken heart is a desperate muscle - believe me, I know. Even if you see something happy in your head, just for a minute, you will grab onto that and hold onto it no matter what. You will accept that everything has changed for the better because that is what you want, above all else. 
Peace is yours, right until you open your eyes.
And it hurts.

So yeah. Not a happy or exactly meaningful blog post. But it's just something I've come to realise given situations recently.
More often that not I wish to live inside my own head.
It's far happier in there.

No comments:

Post a Comment